home » birthday » birthday tips
Survival Tips for a First Birthday Party
By Jessica Hartshorn
Fun ideas and helpful hints for baby's first birthday party.
It won't matter to your baby whether you throw a catered party for the neighborhood or just have the grandparents over for pizza. How much you do is up to you - do only what feels fun and festive, and cut back if you get stressed out. Here are some tips to get you through this event.
- Make or buy a creative cake. Your baby will love looking at the cake as much as eating it.
- If there will be other young kids, keep the party short -- an hour or two is plenty.
- If you want to decorate with balloons, opt for the silver helium-filled kind. Latex balloons are a choking hazard to kids under the age of 4.
- If you're serving food, do yourself a favor and don't try to make everything. For instance, bake the cake but buy deli sandwiches. Or grill burgers and have a bakery do the cake.
- Take pictures of the cake and of baby in his birthday outfit before the guests arrive.
- Don't force baby to be social. With all the attention, your little one may need to retreat for a bit.
- Consider hiring a sitter or asking a young relative to stay with the birthday baby when he needs a break.
- Consider doing the fun part the night before. Strip baby down to a diaper and let her experience her first piece of cake. Then, if he's too thrown off during the party to enjoy the "real" cake, you won't feel disappointed.
© Copyright American Baby Magazine